Dev Log: Continued work on ship equipment mounting integration.... and bumping asteroids for fun

Discussion in 'Developers Blog' started by Chris, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member Staff Member

• Stardale Staff
    • Developer
    mooCow
    Sometimes a well made plan of attack is better than too quickly jumping into action and with that in mind yesterday I spent the day creating some charts and data flow diagrams for planning how weapons are mounted, tracked, and managed when you equip them on your ships. Ships in Stardale will be capable of mounting dozens of weapons and equipment types that may be slotted in by players - but unfortunately these features don't magically code themselves in on their own! ;) Between tracking items on the UI, interfacing them with player controlled ships, managing weapon types (laser, missile, or projectile to name a few)/energy consumption/ammo slotted in/targeting/range/cool downs/weapon speed/modifiers and a dozen other things then you begin to see how proper planning may be required. :cool: So with that said, I did a little extra planning and flow charts to act as a guide. Then I began coding them in for the later half of last night and all night tonight.... Although I must admit I got sidetracked for a little bit just playing with the asteroid physics and bouncing them around ;):D

It's 5am now so it's time to hit the bed for some sleep! Another day of work and progress now complete. Can't wait to get these things done and make it more playable!

P.S. Do these little asteroids remind anyone of cocoa puffs or corn pops in this color? Maybe if we get big we can license a cereal to Kelloggs called Stardale Puffs™ or Stardale Space Puffs™. :p Sounds catchy.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    Mahsa, OFF, Warzok and 4 others like this.
  2. gnarvin

gnarvin Well-Known Member

mooCowmooCowmooCowmooCowmooCow
    All I see is Reese's Puffs :cool:, looks awesome tho, loving the physics. Amazing work Chris, keep it up man!

Chris and Kane Hart like this.
  3. Sh4dowWalker96

Sh4dowWalker96 Member

I can see some interesting space-sports in the future. Asteroid Soccer for one.

OFF, Chris and Kane Hart like this.
  4. Artemis

Artemis New Member

they seem too spherical to me. You'd think asteroids would vary in shape, the same way terrestrial rocks do.

Chris likes this.
  5. Chris

• Stardale Staff
    • Developer
    mooCow
    Yea this is only one model, there are more but these ones were just the first. :)

Mahsa likes this.
  6. Artemis

Artemis New Member

How difficult, coding wise, would it be to procedurally generate the asteroids? That sounds like a cool idea to me.

Chris likes this.
  7. Chris

• Stardale Staff
    • Developer
    mooCow
    I'm not sure it would be too difficult but just something that would likely have to be taken care of after more of the core components are complete. Planet textures in-space are going to be procedural generated so perhaps I'll apply that same concept to the asteroids. It's a great idea actually, I really like it, so you can expect to see it now at some point. ;)

Mahsa and Artemis like this.
  8. OFF

OFF

mooCowmooCowmooCowmooCowmooCowmooCowmooCow
    Epic.. I can't wait to play the Alpha version!

Chris likes this.