Dev Log: Update from the Stardale Academy

Discussion in 'Developers Blog' started by Chris, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member Staff Member

• Stardale Staff
    • Developer
    mooCow
    Hello everyone! Another update from the Stardale Academy. This week our research and development team has pushed the boundaries of data communications; never before in the Stardale universe has a team of researchers transmitted data between two entities in a way where one entity predicts the others movement. This has lead to future capabilities of seamless object movement between data points.

In other words, we've worked more on client movement prediction but also I fixed a few serious bugs that showed their nasty faces with movement packets sometimes not being read properly after they were received. It turns I discovered a bug with Unity/Mono and memory management; essentially the limitation was that Unity wasn't properly managing it's garbage collection and was reusing a variable that should have been cleared. I had to create a work around for this bug but after several hours we caught on to what was happening. :cool:

What else has been happening? The client and server is moving more towards an authoritative approach where the server acts as an authority controlling in-game object movement with client side predicting movement but server giving the final sale. Also this week we've moved closer to loading the map objects from the actual server, previously I had them fixed in each client but now map items (i.e. asteroids, NPC ships, etc) are controlled by server. Yay :rolleyes:

It's been a long road, but we're getting there!

OFF, Andy, Sh4dowWalker96 and 3 others like this.
  2. OldNESJunkie

OldNESJunkie Well-Known Member

mooCowmooCowmooCowmooCowmooCow
    Awesome work!!! Keep it going, forward HO!!!

3. baebos

baebos New Member

keep up the work and ill keep up the hype. deal?

Sh4dowWalker96, Chris and Kane Hart like this.
  4. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member Staff Member

• Stardale Staff
    • Developer
    mooCow
    Deal! :cool:

Kane Hart and Sh4dowWalker96 like this.