Idea inspired by Rosetta

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by gnarvin, Nov 12, 2014.

1. gnarvin

gnarvin Well-Known Member

mooCowmooCowmooCowmooCowmooCow
    So I love this kind of stuff and Ive been watching the livestream of the landing off and on all today and yesterday. Rosetta Landing Livestream

Anyways, it got me thinking, since we start off in a Medieval Age, will there be a stage in your journey that required you to do similar things for researching tech. For example in order to build rocket that takes you to the closet planet or moon, you first have to send a probe to study things like trajectory, landing on something in space, learning and coping with radiation levels, and Im sure many other things.

Probes could also be used to search for certain planet types, planets with a certain feature or civilization your looking for. It doesn't seem like alot of space games used probes, the only one I can think of is Mass Effect but Im sure there are many more. But its strange because it seems like a very important stepping stone as far as space research goes for any race.

Sh4dowWalker96 and Chris like this.
  2. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Active Member Staff Member

• Stardale Staff
    • Developer
    mooCow
    That is actually our plan. The idea is when you advance overtime you perform research but not always research in just a lab. Chris and I have talked about this as far as even researching life on a cellular level with a microscope and adding an entire mini game element. One the many popular ideas we were talking about is sending a monkey into space and before we do that sending out probes etc. So yes we have actually been for the longest time wanting to be many stages before a player can successfully launch themselves into space.

That being said I highly doubt we get most these steps in before Alpha as their not core features of the game. The biggest goal for a Alpha would be the most basics of Universe Generation, Planet Generation, and then slowly working our way down the list.

Also glad you are watching it. While I'm typing it she just landed :)

Sh4dowWalker96 and gnarvin like this.
  3. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member Staff Member

• Stardale Staff
    • Developer
    mooCow
    These are awesome ideas and I'm glad you brought them up. As Kane briefly mentioned you may find them in Stardale by beta and release! :D I think it's such a cool idea to have probes scanning around, looking out for you, researching and discovering, then sending you data back. EVE Online is the last and pretty much only game I can remember actually using space probes in but they weren't long term probes from what I remember. In Stardale you might not only see probes but also drones all with different roles from science to warfare ;). Ideally we would have probes that perform roles and actions even when you're gone and logged out and with the Stardale universe being very big then it may take some time for a probe to get from point a to point b.

Sh4dowWalker96 and gnarvin like this.
  4. OldNESJunkie

OldNESJunkie Well-Known Member

mooCowmooCowmooCowmooCowmooCow
    This sounds very awesome indeed, looking more forward to the alpha/beta/whatever every day now

Sh4dowWalker96 likes this.